You are here
Free English Classes
RMIT English Worldwide runs free English classes* for students or those who want to improve their English. Classes are suitable for Pre-Intermediate (equivalent to IELTS 5.0) and Upper-Intermediate (equivalent to lELTS 3.5-4.0) levels and are run by teachers in training. Students can enrol at any time during the course.
Full-time classes run from 1.00 to 3.00 pm on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays.
Courses start in February, June and November and go for 5 weeks.
Part-time classes run from 6.00 to 8.00 pm on Mondays and Wednesdays.
Courses run from March to June and from August to November over 15 weeks.
If you are interested, please contact Reception to register.
Call us on +61 3 9657 5800 or visit us at RMIT English Worldwide Melbourne, Building 108, Level 10, 235–251 Bourke Street.
*Please note a A$20 registration fee applies. Refer to the CELTA course dates and fees for exact dates. Read more
Prepare for CELTA
- Do our Grammar Fundamentals short course first. Comprising four evening classes over two weeks, this course will help you brush up on grammar terminology and work out what skills you need to develop.
- Be prepared to be very busy when the course starts. People who have studied CELTA say, ‘You won’t have time to do anything else’. Believe them. It’s true. If you want to do the full time course, you won’t even have time for a part time job. If you cannot take time off work, then do the part time course.
- Let your friends and family know you’ll be busy. Suspend your gym membership, tell your book club you’ll be absent etc.
- Get organised. Make sure you have all the books and stationery you’ll need.
- Set aside a space at home where you can prepare lessons in peace.
- Talk to someone who has done a CELTA course. It helps to hear other people’s stories and get their advice.
Meet our CELTA tutors
The benefits of CELTA
- Our CELTA graduates have taught all over the world.
- Make a difference—English will have a very positive impact on learners’ lives.
- Meet like-minded people who’ve had amazing life experiences.
- Enjoy a new career challenge.
Career opportunities for graduates
There are several places to start your job search as a CELTA graduate, including:
Hear from our CELTA graduates
Am I eligible for CELTA?
- be aged 18 years or over (preferably aged 20 or over)
- be eligible for tertiary education in their country of origin
- understand written and spoken English well enough to follow and complete assignments.
Why choose CELTA?
CELTA is accredited and administered by the University of Cambridge and is a globally recognised qualification. Other courses may not be recognised by international authorities and so could cause problems getting a visa. Shorter courses are unlikely to meet the National ELICOS Standards of a minimum of 100 contact hours and 6 hours of supervised, assessed teaching practice for teachers in Australian institutions.
How important is the institution when considering where to study CELTA?
Your certificate, issued by Cambridge English Language Assessment, will be accompanied by a report issued in the name of the university or college where you train. A reputable institution with global recognition will open more doors for you.
How do I know CELTA is right for me?
The application process includes a pre-interview language task (see the CELTA online application form) and an interview. These are used to assess your ability to complete the course successfully and your commitment to its intensive schedule.
How hard is it to get into CELTA?
Not every applicant is offered a place. CELTA candidates are selected based on their performance in a pre-interview language task and interview. Our expert trainers will assess your application and interview to see if you have the potential to succeed in this demanding course.
Do I have to know all about grammar before I do CELTA?
Is CELTA the same as Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL)?
CELTA is for teachers who want to teach English to students in their home country or overseas. TEFL, however, is only an entry-level English teaching certification covering basic teacher training to teach non-native English speakers overseas.